In this project, students will use Tinkercad 3D modelling software to design a mobile phone stand that can be 3D printed.
This project has been designed to so that it can be delivered in school or as an independent home/remote learning project. To assist with remote learning the project resources include video tutorials and a student presentation containing the individual lesson learning objectives and tasks to guide students through each stage of the project.
This is a flexible project that requires a minimum of four 1 hour lessons to complete but with additional optional tasks that can extend the project up to ten lessons. The project is suitable for Upper KS2 and KS3, however the extension activities will not all be suitable for younger students, and they may require more time to complete the tasks set. For upper KS3 students, the design activity could be extended to convert or redesign the stand into a passive amplifier.
In this project students will:
- Learn the Tinkercad 3D modelling software interface, tools and controls.
- Create a 3D model of an example phone stand from a tutorial.
- Design their own phone stand to meet a product design brief and specification.
- Create a 3D model of their phone stand design.
- Design product packaging and marketing materials (optional).
3D Printing the Files
If you have access to a 3D printer, the student designs are ready to be sliced and 3D printed. If you do not have access to a 3D printer there are two options.
- You can borrow a 3D printer free of charge for up to 4 weeks from CREATE Education, to print the files. All we ask in return is that you share the details of your project with us in the form of a blog post and images of the student designs and final 3D prints.
Learn more and apply for a 3D printer loan
- CREATE Education can 3D print the files and send the prints to you for a charge. The cost depends upon the number of prints required and their size.
Contact us for a quote on 0800 7720 257 or 01257 276 116,
or email firstname.lastname@example.org
CREATE Education have been granted permission to share the following resources:
In The Classroom
The project is designed to be a flexible delivery length ranging from 4-10 lessons. Each lesson would need to be a minimum of 1hr long. The Lesson Slides PowerPoint resource that accompanies the project maps out the 4 essential project lessons. Any of these can be split into 2 separate lessons if time allows. The detailed project outline contained in the teacher guide provides the learning objectives and steps to success, lesson activities, extension activities and resources required for each lesson. It also includes an additional optional 1-2 product design lessons. The PowerPoint is fully editable so lesson tasks can be adapted to suit your requirements, it also contains two template slides that can be used to create additional learning resources and instructions where required.